First Presbyterian Church of Moultrie was formally organized on October 3, 1892 by sixteen Presbyterians who gathered together with the Reverend T.J. Allison, an evangelist from the Savannah Presbytery who acted as moderator. W.C. Vereen and William B. McPhaul were elected as Ruling Elders. John A. Milsaps and James McKay were elected as Deacons.
The first church building, located on West Central Ave. was dedicated on June 11, 1893. To accommodate the remarkable growth of the congregation, a second building was built on the corner of First St. and Third Ave. SE. It was dedicated in 1898. The current church building at 501 1st St. SE was dedicated on October 6, 1912 and has had four additions made since that time: Ellen Vereen Hall (1931), Stegall Memorial Building (1956), Dr. M.A. MacDonald Nursery (1965) and the Fellowship Hall (1985).
From it's inception, the Moultrie Presbyterian Church has been very active in mission work. Mission churches were organized in Doerun (1915), Princeville (1917), and the 2nd Presbyterian Church on N. Main Street (1917). In 1945 the Sylvester Drive Chapel was established. Over time, these mission churches were merged with the main church.
The church provides financial support and leadership for a variety of mission partners including Boy Scout Troop 464, the Covenant Counseling Center, the FPC Preschool, the Children's Cheer & Toy Shop, Crossroads Gospel Mission, the Children's Advocacy Center (Hero House), the Colquitt County Food Bank, and Backpacks for Hope at Cox Elementary School. World mission projects have included the building of a church in Ghana, establishing the Gloria Clinic in Haiti, and aid for several mission projects in Bangladesh.
As we look toward the future our congregation embraces the words of Mr. W.C. Vereen, Jr., grandson of one of our charter members: "Our future is uncertain, but God knows the way and if we just follow him and let him lead us in his way, our future is assured."